Monday, May 3, 2010

Between the Sun and the Moon Ch 31 Teaser

Here it is... *snickers cause I know I'll get some shit for this*

--

"No!" A tenor voice shouted from behind us. "Get away from her! You've done enough, Cullen!"

I tensed, expecting the worst, but was shocked to feel Bella's fingers curl into my stomach as she stood in front of me protectively.

"Mike," she said calmly. "Don't make a scene. Jessica wouldn't want that."

His eyes darted between the casket and me indecisively. "Get out. You're not welcome," he said lowly.

I nodded and urged Bella forward, but she wouldn't budge. "Bella," I whispered. "It's not worth it."

Almost as if she had ignored me entirely, she kept her eyes locked on Mike's. "Newton, I know you're upset and angry, but this is no more our fault than it is yours. We were targeted just like Jessica," she said softly. "And I'm so sorry that she wasn't as fortunate as we were."

His bright blue eyes stared at Bella blankly before blurring with tears. "God, Bella, I just don't understand," he said with such agony, I winced. "She was minding her own business. Didn't even have a chance to defend herself."

"I'm sorry," she whispered. "I didn't know her very well, but I can't imagine why anyone would want to hurt her voluntarily. Those people..." She swallowed hard. "They're insane. Brainwashed. I'm sure once that man comes to his senses he'll regret what he did that night for the rest of his life."

I didn't necessarily believe that, but I knew why Bella had said it. It held a comfort to it, just like the tone of her voice.

Mike sagged forward and outstretched his hand. Bella took a step forward and almost seemed to catch him. "Sorry, I shouldn't have taken it out on you two. You were the only other people involved that weren't held hostage so..."

"No need to explain," I said gently.

"I was going to ask her to marry me," he said quietly.

I thought the guilt might swallow my soul with those words. "I’m sorry," I responded uneasily, not knowing how to comfort someone who was seemingly dying from the inside out right before my eyes.

"Thanks," he croaked. "Are you coming to the… um, the…" He couldn’t seem to get the rest out.

"Burial?" Bella prompted.

He nodded.

"Of course we are," she responded with such reassurance, it astounded me.

"I’ll go get you the flag for your car."

He started to walk away, but I clasped my hand on his shoulder, stopping him in his tracks. "No, we can handle it ourselves. Just point us in the direction we should go, and we’ll let you get back to your family and friends."

Without another word, he pointed to a dark haired man in the back and then walked off.

1 comments:

gossip_bangkok said...

*sob* This is painful...
I'm going to go back and re-read TMWCBM teaser now! :P
However, I love it
Beautifully written as usual!
now, give me ma chapter! :P JK
Love ya xx

Post a Comment