Monday, November 1, 2010

The Man Who Can't Be Moved Chapter 41 Teaser

There wasn't much by way of options for this chapter to tease for, so it's a little boring this week... which is why I'm going to post the prompt pic for the outtake I'm working on - it's ridiculously hot. It's for the Squeeze My Lemon series that the Dirty Cheeky Monkey's blog is doing. I've got the majority of it written; I just need to decide if I want to leave it short and err, not so sweet, or make it a little longer.

Chapter's scheduled to post on Weds; the DCM outtake is scheduled to be posted on Dec 1 (tentative date of final epi posting).

--


“Are you okay?”

I shook my head. “Not really. If I have to see her go through one more thing because of me… I’ll-“ I broke off, not really knowing how to finish the sentence. “How’s Emmett?” I asked instead.

“Still beating himself up. I can’t convince him that he’s not to blame. No one is.” She opened her eyes to give me a sharp look, causing me to chuckle a little.

“Point taken, Rosalie.”

Her eyes narrowed. “Is it? Is it really? Every time I come in here, you’re brooding in the corner or some shit. It’s hard… God damn it, it’s hard to sit here and watch her have to go through all of this, but you have to stop blaming yourself. It was an accident.”

I nodded once. “I know. I’m trying.”

She glowered at me. “Try harder.”

I held up my hands in defeat. “Work some of that Hale magic on Emmett, will you?”

A small smile played at her lips. “You got off easy. You’re not my husband.”

“Well, thank heavens for that, then,” I joked.

She went to push me, but I dodged her hands and laughed. If there was one thing positive in the midst of all this sadness, it was that Rosalie Hale and I had finally gotten past the awkward best-friend-keeps-a-wary-eye-out-on-new-boyfriend-slash-husband phase and accepted me as one of the few people that Bella would always be able to rely on.

“Get out of here. Alice says you have things to take care of.”

I hesitated, glancing back at where Bella slept. “Should I wake her before I...?”

“Let her sleep. We’ll tell her where you’re going.”

I never moved my eyes from Bella. “Right.”

“You’re going to wake her up, aren’t you?” she sighed.

I didn’t bother trying to deny it. Of course I was.

I walked over to the bed and ran my hand over Bella’s face. It took her a little while to stir, but she finally opened her eyes and smiled groggily at me.

“I have a few things to take care of. Alice and Rosalie will sit with you while I’m away.”

“S’okay,” she slurred. “I can sleep by myself.”

“I’d much rather you didn’t. Not yet.”

She went to roll her eyes, but they ended up closing again. “Fine. So overprotective.”

“Can you blame me?” I chuckled.

“No. S’pose not.”

I made sure to tell her that I loved her—because I could never seem to say it enough now—before I started toward the door.

“Edward?” Alice called after me, stopping me just as I reached the door.

I turned to face her.

“Don’t do anything. Let them handle it.”

I clenched my jaw furiously and glanced away.

“Let. Them. Handle it,” she repeated sternly. “Believe me, they’ll do a much better job than you could ever think of.”

--

This week's pic tease:



--

DCM pic prompt (ahem, rawr):

0 comments:

Post a Comment