Monday, October 25, 2010

The Man Who Can't Be Moved Chapter 40 Teaser

Two teasers again today; first, the text teaser that will be on Fictionators later too, and then another pictease. Both teasers are from EPOV.

If you're reading WYWG, I'm trying... honestly. Stratan and I have been really busy (mostly me... ), so we've not had any time to talk about it. I'll force the issue when I submit this chapter for beta'ing. ;)

--


Her eyes widened, and she quickly ended her call as soon as she saw me. “My God, Edward. Are you all right? You look… so…”

I laughed bitterly, reaching up and running my hand over the stubble on my jaw. The last time I’d looked in a mirror was in Japan. I had no idea how awful I looked, nor did I care.

“No, I’m not ‘all right’, Z. Not at all.” I threw the magazines at her. “I want this gone. Now.”

“Edward, they had a-“

I opened one of them, revealing the pictures of Bella being carried on a stretcher—“packaged” and on route to the hospital—before turning the page and showing her the pictures of the interior of the car. I hardened myself to what was on the page, blocking out any thoughts of what Bella must’ve gone through, and pointed out the close-up of the blood spatters on the broken window where Bella’s head had been thrown against it. The airbags were deflated and hanging limply from the steering wheel and along the right side of the SUV, but they did nothing to save Bella from any damage. The dash still crushed her. The fender still collapsed on her.

“I don’t want to hear that they were on public property and had the right to take photos of my wife lying unconscious in a demolished vehicle, bleeding out, while they gawked and got their money shots,” I said fiercely. “I want it gone. I don’t want anything affecting Bella when she wakes up. Call in the few favors we’re owed… whatever. I won’t be in the public eye anymore, so it won’t make a difference if you have to cash all of them in. Just make it disappear… for a little while, at least,” I amended when she went to speak again. “I need her to get well, Zafrina. I need her home.”

She took a deep breath and nodded. “I’ll see what I can do.”

“That’s all I ask.” I straightened up and ran my hands through my hair. “Shred those?” I asked, feeling my stomach roll as the images played through my mind again. “I don’t think I can look at them again.”

She hurriedly gathered them up and threw them next to her feet sothey were out of my sight. “Consider it done.”

--

0 comments:

Post a Comment