Monday, November 8, 2010

While You Were Gone Chapter 7 Teaser

Stratan and I were finally able to get some time set aside to brainstorm WYWG, so I was able to write a little bit this last week. Chapter's currently about 3/4 of the way done, and will hopefully post by Saturday (that's the goal, anyway).

--


The heater turned on; the air in the vents caused the scent to stir, and my head whipped to the stairs. “He was in her room,” I growled.

“What?” Charlie shouted. He was focusing on the implication of that statement, rather than how… inhuman it sounded. “Who was in her room?”

I didn’t bother answering, just launched myself up the stairs and to Bella’s room. I opened the door and recoiled at how strong the scent was here, and how many of Bella’s belongings had been touched by him.

Her pillow was missing, and clothes were scattered all over the floor. I wasn’t entirely sure what that meant, so I pulled out my phone and called Carlisle. I recounted everything and listed off what had been tampered with or taken from her room, all while Charlie waited impatiently beside me.

I slipped the phone back in my pocket and turned to him. “There was another vampire here while you were at Sue’s. The house is going to need to be watched at all times now.”

He blanched. “What did they want?”

“I’m not sure. They could have picked up my scent here, wondered why I found this place so fascinating. It’s strongest in Bella’s room…”

“That’s probable.”

“It is. But… why take her pillow?” I ran my hands through my hair. “I need to speak more with my family about this. Jasper, specifically. They’re on their way now.”

I brushed past him and bounded down the stairs. I opened the door and found Bella waiting nervously outside.

The wolf howled in the distance, signaling that he’d caught up to the vampire and needed backup from the pack.

“Go,” I said to Jared urgently. “Go now. I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

“What is it?”

“I need you to go through your room. I need to know how many things of yours are missing.”

Her eyes widened. “Missing?” She squeezed her eyes and shook her head violently. “Wait, you said ‘how many’. What’s missing?’

“At first glance, your pillow. But your room has been thoroughly searched. Maybe it was for something specific, but it just… It’s ransacked.”

--

0 comments:

Post a Comment