Sunday, August 21, 2011

Dear Maggie Chapter 4 Teaser

Happy Sunday!

--

“Don’t think I didn’t notice,” she said cryptically. “It was the first thing I saw when I got here.”

“What’s that?” I croaked, hanging on to the side of the Jeep for dear life.

“How clean the truck is. I drove it all the way from Phoenix-“

“Wait, you drove from fucking Phoenix?” I asked in disbelief. “Why?”

“Why not?”

“Why didn’t you just take a plane?”

“Because I moved here,” she answered simply.

“Yeah, but…” I stopped myself before I could give away how much I wanted to learn everything about her.

She read my like an open book. “I just needed the time away. Know what I mean?”

“Yeah.”

“Anyway, Emmett told me it was your idea,” she told me. “So thank you.”

“Sure.”

She lingered beside me for a little while longer, watching me tighten bolts and check the hoses. Normally, this would have bothered me. I despised people staring at me. But with Bella… it felt okay. Not exactly comfortable, but that was because of my issues. Not her.

Never her.

“Why’d you run?” she eventually whispered. “Last night. Why’d you run?”

My grip on the ratchet faltered, and it spiraled through the twists and turns of the engine and all of its components before finally hitting the floor with an echoing clank.

“You scare me,” I answered lowly, reiterating the very thing I’d been thinking.


Her brow furrowed. “I do?”

“More than you could possibly imagine,” I said dryly. “For reasons you couldn’t imagine.”

“If you had any idea what I’ve been through, you might disagree with that statement,” she protested.

“So you think your baggage can come anywhere close to matching mine?”

She exhaled sharply. “No. But I think I could understand you more than you want me to. And more than anyone else ever could.”

I didn’t have an answer to that. I ached to tell her that she was probably right, but obstinacy kept me from it. It was my secret to bear. No one else’s.

--

Also another huge thanks to PAWsPeaches and The Lemonade Stand blog for pimping Dear Maggie out this last week. If you didn't already notice, there's a new Dear Maggie banner on the right hand side that PAWsPeaches made. It's fabulous. And everyone should tell her so.

http://www.tehlemonadestand.blogspot.com/?zx=7898cc7b9b9f6c36

3 comments:

inkedupmom said...

I can't wait for the update!!! Nice to see them actually talking. :)

Time4rMe said...

I lurv lurv LURV this story!

Mom2be said...

Love this story but what's happening with while you where gone?

Post a Comment