Monday, July 5, 2010

The Man Who Can't Be Moved Ch 32 Teaser

I'm so mean... apologies all around.

--

The lights dimmed and so did my nerves as the ceremony began. Actors and actresses took the stage in their general splendor, and until the moment that Jacob walked to the podium, it had all honestly flown right by me. I didn’t know who half of these people were here, so I was just content to sit and spend time with Edward.

Edward got up during a commercial break and disappeared through the door that led backstage. I fidgeted in my seat, my nerves suddenly finding root in the pit of my stomach again, until I saw the lights shine down on Edward. He seemed so at ease up there, reading from the teleprompter. I’d never seen him in action, not even on set in Vancouver. He was enamoring. Spectacular in his talent. His eyes flicked to me, and his smile widened as he took in the idiotic grin that was coupled with my pride.

It wasn’t long after Edward’s return that the champagne got the best of me, and I had to excuse myself from the table and find the bathroom.

I washed my hands and checked my makeup, because even though I was far from the conceited actors and actresses surrounding me, I didn’t want to look like a complete jerk on camera.

The door closing echoed throughout the cavernous bathroom, and I heard the click of shoes move toward me. I went to dry my hands and waited for the moment that the woman would appear and I’d have to dive into super-polite flattery to inflate the ego that was already near bursting point, when James turned the corner and stopped, appraising my reaction carefully.

I nearly slammed myself against the sink but caught myself. I threw my used napkins in the trash and, struggling for nonchalance, swallowed hard so that I could speak.

“What the hell is it with you? First a fitting room, now a bathroom?” I shouted. My voice was shrill with fear.

“It’s not what you think. I…” He scrubbed his face with his hands. “I can’t get anywhere near you to explain. I had to try something. I couldn’t even come near you on the red carpet.”

With everything going on outside, I hadn’t given his presence a thought. Which was incredibly stupid on my part. James was part of the press; he could get into these kinds of events with just a flash of his badge.

“Just let me explain,” he continued.

“Explain what? That you’re a creepy little perv?”

--

I'll post tomorrow. Promise :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment